Sunday, February 11, 2007



Lisey's Story- Stephen King

Ummm...I have been collecting my thoughts on this read for a week or two. Still not sure what I think of it. First, I am reluctant to recommend it, as it is so unusual. Still, that makes me want to recommend it! I have never read Stephan King before and picked this one up because it is supposed to be a more personal work and marriage was the basis of the story. That said, I loved the main characters' relationship- it was honest and powerful and life saving. There are times, in the real world, where one wonders what might have become of oneself if your spouse had not come along. That is certainly the case with these two... This book is terribly graphic, with disturbing scenes of violence and mutilation. This would usually be a deal breaker for me. However, what redeems it, is that at the core, Lisey is a true heroine and is bent on saving her husband, her sister and ultimately herself. In a kind of modern day fairy tale, Lisey must enter a dark and dangerous world in order to prevent herself from being consumed in this world. Kind of an interesting juxtaposition and I was mesmerized by King's ability to turn a phrase and to capture the short hand language of two people who had been together for a very long time.

No comments: